I love America!..So now what?

Happy (belated) day of birth America! 

The past couple of nights me and my parents have been watching some documentaries on America and the sacrifices that have been made for us to be who we are today. Sacrifices made not only by our soldiers, but also by citizens, families, and leaders. This got me thinking about how often I throw around the phrase, "I love America!" and not really think about what it means to be an American. For those of you who don't know, I was lucky enough to serve the Lord for two years in Romania by serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Living among those amazing people changed me completely, it opened my eyes, helping me to realize that not everyone lives how I do. In Romania I saw a number of people and families that barely had any temporal possessions, they worried every morning what they would put on the table for their kids to eat, without having much hope of change. That humbles you. 

I think loving America entails a lot more than just stating how amazing it is on your Facebook status and putting off fireworks. To truly love America means to recognize your blessings and use them to help those who don't have them, whether they be American, Romanian, or of any other ethnicity. To be American means to fight for what is right and sacrifice for it. 

Because I Have Been Given Much

Because I have been given much, I too must give.

Because of they great bounty, Lord each day I live. 

I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,

who has the need of help from me.

-Hymn Because I Have Been Given Much by Grace Noll Crowell

Comments

  1. Love this. Seriously, the Fourth of July and being an American citizen means so much more after living abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite things I did on the fourth was read my scriptures, I became so grateful for the freedom of religion our country has. I also read my grandpas memoirs from when he was in the army. At times I forget what it means to be an American, but the you are right Jeff. I fear that I esteem much too lightly that which our fathers won at so great a cost. And we must give liberally to those who may not enjoy such liberties. Whether institutional, physical, economic, or even emotional freedoms ought to be addressed. We can each be liberators in our own task and deed, on our own battlefields. Being a friend to the neglected neighbor to feeding the ravaged refugee, these are all acts worthy of an American.

    Thanks for your brilliant post Jeff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts