Moving On...But Not Giving Up

Change has been the only constant in my life the past 3 1/2 weeks. I thought living in 18 apartments over the past 5 years would have taught me to deal with change, but I'm learning that it can still be tough.  

The past couple of weeks I've:

  • Left my best friends of 6 years that had turned into my family
  • Moved across the country
  • Graduated college
  • Went from thinking I was going to graduate school in DC at George Washington to deciding to attend Johns Hopkins SAIS and finding out I'll spend my first year of studies in Bologna, Italy
  • Gotten an office job for the first time in my life
  • Spent much needed time with my family for the first time in awhile

Some of these things haven't been hard to accept (i.e. being with family and dealing with living in ITALY for a year), but others have been really rough (i.e leaving my friends in Provo). 


Provo

Like I said, I didn't really expect to struggle too much with all this change. I knew I'd miss a lot of things, but shouldn't I be used to it by now? Heck, I even wrote a blog post about how moving is good. But when I got back to NC I realized how much my friends have changed me. 

When I left high school people told me that I'd only stay in contact with at most 2 or 3 of my friends. I didn't want to believe it...but I'd say that it's mostly been true. People have said the same thing to me about college - but this time, I refuse to believe it. I know I won't be able to keep in touch with every single person I met at BYU, but you better believe that I'm going to try as hard as I can to keep in touch with the incredible people who have become part of me. I know this won't mean talking to them every day, or every week, or maybe even every month. But I will keep in touch with them because they mean the world to me. 

Shoo I miss these guys 

I think what I'm trying to get at here is that I am really excited to move on with my life. I'm excited to move to Europe and pursue further studies that will enable me to fulfill my career goals. I'm excited to see where life takes me and for the things I'll do. I'm excited to see that moving on doesn't mean giving up what I have, but adding to it. 

I'm not leaving those I love behind, I'm taking the things I've learned and the relationships I have with me, and I'm going to add on to them with more incredible people that I'm bound to meet. Life isn't about finding great things to let others go, it's about making as many great things as possible part of you. 

Here's to the unknown, the unpredictable, and the future that is sure to be bright.  



Comments

Popular Posts